Thursday, July 22, 2004

He Ain't Heavy, He Ain't MY Brother

17.17 On Time
I would like to consider myself a moderate to fairly responsible individual. I would like to consider my sense of social responsibility moderate to fair. Once I even stopped to assist an old lady who'd had her bag snatched and I was on my way to a job interview at the time. Today I crossed to the other side and walked on by.
 
Getting off the train at HomeStation it was impossible not to spot a fellow human being in potential distress. The fact that he was so impossible to miss made him easier to ignore. If I could see him so could everyone else who got off the train. So could the conductor. So could the driver, probably. And it's probably their job to deal with this kind of thing.
 
I mean, he was probably not ill,  or unconscious or dead. Or if he was it was probably self-inflicted. I mean, he just looked the type. Sallow skin, lank hair, thin as a rake. And, he may have been snoozing peacefully in the sun, waiting for his train to arrive. Except that he didn't wake up and climb on board. And it was raining.

Labels:




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?