Tuesday, September 21, 2004

I Don't Wanna Be Your Lover, I Just Wanna Be Your Victim

17.17 Five Minutes Late
LineManager is in efficient mode. We have an agenda for tomorrow's meeting. Item 6 is "Fireworks" which sounds like a prediction. Item 9 is "ANOB". Which is worrying us slightly.

True Confession Time
Oh dear. I've been under the influence of Elvis Costello for years. Twenty seven years,off and on. But mostly on. The inevitable happened at lunch time - I bought The Delivery Man (I bought some other stuff to, but that's hush hush at the moment). The best I can do is stand up and admit it "My name is Beth and I am an Elvis Costello addict". Hell, I've even got 'Goodbye Cruel World'.

It got off to a slow start. 'My Aim Is True' (Alison excepted) didn't knock me off my feet, and I was a little bit frightened of "Red Shoes" at the time, but 'This Year's Model' was the first album I became genuinely obsessed with. I still love it. I love the way the beginning of 'No Action' makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, and the fact that it lasts 1 minute 59 seconds. I love that I still don't have a clue what it's all about, but I understand it anyway. I love that I have to make up my own words in a lot of places, but it makes sense to me. And, most of all, I love the vocal squeak in "The Beat" which announces "I don't wanna be your lover, I just wanna be your victim". The effect is unhealthy, so unhealthy!

Years later, a similar effect was to be had by ad infinitum repetition of "...so you go, and you stand on your own, and you leave on your own, and you go home, and you cry and ..." you know the rest. But that's another story.

Selected Elvis:

The Beat
You'll Never Be A Man
Indoor Fireworks
Brilliant Mistake
When I Was Cruel No 2
Beyond Belief
Party Girl
Funny Valentine





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?