Monday, April 10, 2006

8.10 On Time
It was early spring, 1970, when my best friend asked me the crucial question:

"Which team do you support?"

All the possibilities raced through my mind.
My dad supported Sunderland (family roots) and Arsenal (no idea). My cousin-who-isn't-really-my-cousin supported Manchester United. My real cousin supported Burnley. I think Michael Tomlinson supported Chelsea, which I knew was somewhere away Down South and so they were ruled out on two counts. UnrequitedLove supported Liverpool, but thankfully I hadn't yet fallen under his spell or my life could've taken a very different turn.

Then, the image of best friend's big brother proudly wearing his football scarf came to me and the correct answer was clear.

"Leeds United"


For better or worse, richer or poorer, thick and thin, up and down ...

Saturday was a pretty stiff test though.

Sour Times - Portishead
Country Darkness – Elvis Costello
Drive In Movies & Dashboard Lights – Nanci Griffith
Imitation Of Life - REM

I Thought I Held You - Wilco
Trust – The Cure
2nd Law -Tom McRae
Moon Shadow – Kate Rusby
Happy - Jenny Lewis

Labels: ,




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?