Friday, July 14, 2006

...a book that you read in reverse, so you understand less, as the pages turn

7.31 Twenty Minutes Late
Last year some time, during one of those 'Why do people do the things they do?' conversations, Leanne said something that I didn't understand.
About how people get to a certain age or stage in their lives where they look ahead and think:

'Nothing will ever change. This is me now, forever.'

Then they go a bit mad and either;
a) have an affair, or,
b) get married when they've been perfectly happily living together for years, or,
c) decide to have babies, or,
d) pack in their job and go off to find themselves in other countries.

At the time I didn't get it.

Then, while I was sitting under the cherry tree on a balmy evening with a glass of wine in my hand and my true love by my side I had an epiphany.


There is nothing wrong with my life.

What do I have dissatisfied with?
So, my job's a bit crappy, but we can still laugh about it.
What do I have to strive for?
The constant vigilance required to maintain an ideal Body Mass Index? Come on now, that's not a goal I want to own up to.

The hall floor still needs varnishing and the bathroom door could do with a coat of paint, and there will always be weeds to pull up, but what am I aiming for?
What are my dreams these days?

Then I knew what she meant.

First Thing - Four Tet
7/4 (Shoreline) - Broken Social Scene
Saint Simon - The Shins

Human Remains - Tom McRae
Salvage A Smile - Laura Veirs
Mushaboom - Feist
Days Go By - Dirty Vegas
Last Forever - Thirteen Senses
Destiny - Zero 7

Dry Land - Roddy Frame
Pink Bullets - The Shins

Labels:




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?