Tuesday, August 15, 2006

8.10 On Time
And the really scary thing about this one is...

Dear Sir/Madam,
For some years I have been compiling a collection of 50s, 60s & 70s popular music and have found it very difficult to be sure if the tracks on the CDs are authentic or not. For my collection I require copies from the original master tapes used for the issue of the original vinyl singles that entered the record charts. It is over the information supplied on some CDs that I have a problem because as far as I can tell the phrases that are in general use seem to have no real legal meaning. For example "Very Best Of", " "GreatestHits" or "Original Recordings". The "Very Best Of" is purely subjective, "Greatest Hits" appears to be any version of the hit song and "Original Recording" can also apply to any version. It is my view that only a copy of the actual recording used on the record that entered the charts should be labelled a hit. There are many inconsistances of this nature contained on CDs.
A recent example is from a Slim Whitman CD (The Collection - EMI 0946 3 34214 2 4) that claims "China Doll" was a UK No.15 in 1955 and published in 1967. Clearly both statements cannot be correct.

Most CDs do not have contact details where some of the inconsistancy issues could be resolved and only in one case when I have contacted the companies have I received a reply.

Yours Faithfully


.... I can kind of see his point

Natasha - Rufus Wainwright
Interstate 5 - The Wedding Present
Broken Hearted Among The Pines - Coope, Boyes & Simpson
Condor Avenue - Elliott Smith
Under Dream Of A Lie - Lambchop
We Can't Make It Here - James McMurty
Republica Evescarra - Ellis Island Sound
Planet Telex - Radiohead

Labels:




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?