Thursday, November 09, 2006

17.12 On Time
That thing's happened again.

One minute you've never even heard of a
band, next minute they're everywhere (or all over this month's Word magazine at least) and you think you're some kind of expert.

You see, we saw Beirut supporting Calexico at the Roundhouse last Sunday.


At 8.00pm I knew nothing about them, although the array of ukeleles was a good sign. As was the fact that there were plenty in the audience who had obviously gone along purely to worship at the shrine of infant prodigy Zach Condon. (He's from New Mexico you know, but bizarrely sounds as though he learnt English by listening to Scott Walker under a duvet in Slovakia.)

By 9.00pm I was sold. Oh yes, Tragicomic-Post-LoFi-Gypsy is the future. Trust me.

Maybe I was seduced by the infectious enthusiasm (it wouldn't be the first time) but I hope not, because I do want Beirut to be as good as I thought they were.


Brandenburg - Beirut
19th Nervous Breakdown - The Rolling Stones
I've Just Seen A Face - The Beatles
Song 2 - Blur
With Arms Outstretched - Rilo Kiley
She's Losing It - Belle & Sebastian
Mayor Of Simpleton - XTC
There There - Radiohead
Oh Superman - Lori Anderson



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?