Tuesday, February 06, 2007

8.10 On Time.
Well! That was good.

You know when you've been really looking forward to something and you build it up and up in your head till it assumes a significance so huge that there is no way your unreasonable expectations can possibly be met and you end up disappointed?

It wasn't like that with The Decemberists.

Incredibly - and had I been any more excited I would've wet myself (sorry, but it's true) - I wasn't disappointed. Not for a minute (unless you count the minute when, somehow, it was eleven o'clock and they said 'Right, that's it we're off now '). There was certainly none of that surreptitious glancing at someone else's watch about seventy minutes in, when a band insists on playing three new songs in a row and time starts to drag, and you realise not only how much your legs ache but that your back's starting to go as well.

We got drama, we got enthusiasm, we got a Smiths cover. I think we got a hurdy gurdy.
In return we engaged gleefully, we sang with gusto, we were considerate to our neighbours (well, all except the two who used the crowd participation bit of '16 Military Wives' to cheat their way to the front and then refused to go back).

Apart from an extra hour or so - what more could a girl wish for?

I empathise with the boy standing slightly behind and to my right whose plaintive cries of "I love you!" punctuated the evening. I think I love you too, Colin Meloy.

Mardy Bum - Arctic Monkeys
Take On Me - A-Ha
Everyday Is Like Sunday - Morrissey
Ether Sings -Laura Veirs
All Over Again - The Lilac Time
Wild Wood - Paul Weller
Living Alone - Loudon Wainwright III
Part Timer - Young Knives

Labels:




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?