Thursday, April 05, 2007

Exercise Bike: 500 Calories - 47:42
As I pass through the Five Phases of Exercise Bike (resentment, discomfort, boredom, resignation, relief) I pick up where I left off yesterday, and think about UnrequitedLove.

Between the ages of fourteen and sixteen he made double chemistry bearable.

I don't know what he's doing now, but I don't wonder about it.
He was insanely young when he got married, but I would be unreasonably disappointed to find out he no longer is. He won't have set the world of electrical appliances alight, but that will be because he never wanted to. He will hang curtains and put up shelves for old ladies and they will dote on him. He will be a solidly reliable committee member of LakeDistrictFC, possibly in charge of coaching the under 12's.

(It may be observed that I didn't feel the need to be attracted to 'bad' boys)

I don't regard all those hours of worship and quiet torment as wasted (especially not the ones spent on the touchlines of assorted football grounds in assorted varieties of hail and sleet) but, to misquote Billy Bragg, I found out he liked Status Quo and I stopped loving him.

You've Got Her In your Pocket - White Stripes
Paint It Black - Rolling Stones
Try Again - Keane
About You - Teenage Fanclub
The Impossible Dream - Jokers Wild
I Fought In A War - Belle & Sebastian
Blackberry Way - The Move
Idioteque - Radiohead
The Bagman's Gambit - The Decemberists
Freebird - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Why You'd Want To Live Here - Death Cab For Cutie
Losing My Religion - REM

Labels:




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?