Wednesday, July 25, 2007

It's just a story

7.31 On Time
Woke up trying to catch hold of the wisps of a dream which had pleased me.
The Today programme seemed to be talking about flat pack furniture, Guiding and safe sex.


So, maybe I'm only dreaming that I'm awake?

No, if this was a dream the rain would’ve stopped by now, and I wouldn’t have almost had a row with a pensioner about whether or not the the ticket office should be open yet. My point being, if you start work at 7.30 you start work at 7.30, and never mind when the trains appear. But I forgot the golden rule: never take on the Over Seventies, no matter how irrational they might be, you'll never win.

Settled in my seat, the argumentative senior citizen out of sight and mind in the other carriage (she wouldn't have let it drop - that's how they win), I am intrigued by the man in the suit, diligently working his way through the Guardian.

Dark, blue eyes with the hint of a sardonic twinkle, stocky but not flabby, not ‘my type’ but nevertheless I am strangely drawn. A veneer of respectability disguises an underlying seediness. How much this arbitrary conclusion rests on the fact that, on infrequent but regular occasions, I've seen him uninhibitedly enjoying a can of Stella on the way home I don‘t know.

I realise I'm staring and close my eyes.

Treason - Teardrop Explodes
I Don't Know Why I Love You - House Of Love
I Don't Want To Talk About It - Rod Stewart
I'll Make It Clear - Teenage Fanclub
The Optimist - Turin Brakes
Perfect - Lightning Seeds
Country Darkness - Elvis Costello

Labels:




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?