Thursday, August 23, 2007

"When you get sober, will you get kinder?"

7.31 Five Minutes Late
I saw him on the High Street.

We walked towards each other with that 'I know you from somewhere but I can't quite place you' smile. The penny dropped and I stopped dead at the same time as he turned back and said: "It's you! How are you? What are you up to?"

Five minutes later we were in a cafe talking till the coffee went cold. And after that, although it was still indecently early, The Royal Shepherd. We talked through most of the afternoon and several pints of cider. We talked in exactly the same way we had when we went to the pub, on our own, after class.

That was before I went and spoiled it by ringing him up and asking him if he fancied, maybe, going out for a drink during the Christmas holidays? And he had the grace to sound a little uncomfortable as he told me that, when he'd said he wasn't married what he, maybe, should have added was: "I do live with my girlfriend though".

He missed a few evenings in the New Year and then, after February half term, stopped coming altogether. 'Pressure of work' the tutor said.

So, it was especially nice to have that chat. Straighten a few things out.

Under The Blacklight - Rilo Kiley

Labels:




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?