Monday, December 31, 2007

Should auld acquaintance be forgot....?

As I didn't get a jigsaw for Christmas this year, I've had to make my own entertainment.

Not being all that keen on New Year's Eve, not having any parties to be getting ready for and having finished the blanket, what else would I be doing on this night of potential unbridled hedonism but compiling pointless 'Top Fives' of the music year.

Top Five Albums:
5 Neon Bible - Arcade Fire
4 Night Falls Over Kortedala - Jens Lekman
3 The Crane Wife - The Decemberists
2 Civilians - Joe Henry
And, a surprise last-minute Number One: The Shepherd's Dog* - Iron & Wine.
Crept in under the radar, but now I can't stop listening to it and going on about how much I like it.

Best 'album that's really from last year but that I only got to hear this year': The Trials Of Van Occupanther - Midlake

Top 'album I've overlooked all year, but have now been unable to ignore because it was in so many people's 'best of 2007' lists': Boxer - The National

Favourite Five Tracks Of 2007 Not On Any Of The Above Mentioned

(apparently this is cheating, but I don't care)
5 Geisha** - Ben Weaver
4 Walcott - Vampire Weekend
3 Dreamworld - Rilo Kiley
2 When The Morning Comes - Lloyd & Michael
And, miles ahead at Number One:
That Summer, At Home, I Had Become The Invisible Boy - The Twilight Sad
I just fucking love this song (it also wins the 'Best Title').


Top Five Gigs:
5 Gogol Bordello - Academy 1, Manchester
4 Rilo Kiley - Academy 3, Manchester

3 Beirut - Club Academy, Manchester
2 The Decemberists - Academy 2, Manchester

1 Jens Leknam - Sacred Trinity Church, Salford

Best Gigs Not In Manchester Or Salford (now this is definitely cheating)***
Arcade Fire - The Greek Theatre, Berkeley
Ben Gibbard and Johnathan Rice (with an appearance by Jenny Lewis) - The Fillmore, San Francisco

Finally - for now - until I change my mind, or remember some other stuff: Best 'band I forgot to mention but nonetheless really enjoyed in all the above categories' Award: The Shins

Off to pop some mini quiches in the oven and open a bottle of ginger beer so, "Happy New Year" then.

*UPDATE: Brilliant album, but definitely the worst cover art of the year.
** UPDATE: Or maybe "Wings As Knives" instead?
*** UPDATE: Also, possibly showing off a bit too.

Labels: ,




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?