Friday, March 28, 2008

17.12 On Time
A bulky man in an Astrakhan coat sits down in front of me. I overheard him asking which train this was and, by his accent, I would guess he's not from around these parts.

He removes a sheaf of papers from an extremely ugly, yet expensive looking, leather briefcase. I don't even have to look over his shoulder to be able to read: "Isle of Man Companies Act" and "ordinary shares to the value of ..." and " ... writing to confirm Mr ShiftyAsHell as a customer of good standing with this bank" and "lasting power of Attorney". It is probably unwise of him to rifle through his private papers in a public place with such wanton disregard for discretion.

If I were a desperately nosey person I could've easily written down those account numbers and names.

Even someone as disinterested as myself couldn't help but notice the ostentatious and distinctive signet ring he is wearing on his left hand. I decide it is the emblem of some sinister secret society.

By the time he gets off at PoshStation I'm convinced that, at the very least, he's on his way to divest a confused, wealthy widow of her vast fortune.

I probably read too much Enid Blyton as a child.

Kiss Me Goodbye - Johnathan Rice
Nothing But A Blur From A Bullet Train - Lambchop
The Girl Who Waves At Trains - The Lilac Time
I'm Taking The Train Home - The Twilight Sad
The Last Time - The Rolling Stones
Goodbye Girl - Squeeze
A Fond Farewell - Elliott Smith
Last Stop: This Town - Eels

Labels:




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?