Thursday, April 10, 2008

"...I want too much"

16.29 On Time
In my job I spend a lot of time telling people things they don't want to hear.

I don't mind this.

If I sugar coat, or accentuate the positive without good reason, it will only lead to disappointment further down the line and I like to think that most people, after they've had some time to think about it, would rather be told the truth than have their time wasted.

I take a lot of flak that I could probably avoid by being more conciliatory, and I sometimes wonder if I'm not, perhaps, secretly hoping for conflict - which is odd as in my 'real' life I would do almost anything to avoid confrontation.

I spend a lot of time telling people, in a range of degrees of subtlety: "You won't get your money back". I wouldn't say I relish it exactly but, in some cases, imparting this information gives me probably more pleasure than is healthy. I don't know what went wrong with my wiring to result in me taking such perverse delight in the misfortunes of others although, in my defence, I only enjoy the ones who deserve it.

Want Too Much - Joe Henry
One Day Like This - Elbow
The District Sleeps Alone Tonight - The Postal Service
A Century Of Fakers - Belle & Sebastian

Labels:




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?