Saturday, May 24, 2008

1968

I opened the window and heard a train steaming (but not literally) up the West Coast line.

At the same time the 'Today' programme was telling me that it's forty years since the last steam train was retired. Now, I've always believed I could remember steam trains running on the line in my childhood. Not the latter day Sunday Specials full of enthusiasts paying top whack and photographers clogging every lay-by between there and Carlisle; but normal run of the mill, timetabled steam engines.

In retrospect, it's probably this one day that I'm remembering. Although I don't 'remember' it. If you know what I mean.

Anyway, that clip most definitely reminded me of this. The exhibition of which was, I think, the most hair-standing-up-on-the-back-of-your-neck series of photographs I've ever seen.

Harper Valley PTA - Jeannie C Rielly
Young Girl - Gary Pucket & The Union Gap
If Paradise Was Half As Nice - Amen Corner
Build Me Up Buttercup - The Foundations

Labels:




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?