Monday, June 30, 2008

"...you would cry too, if it happened to you"

17.18 On Time
At the end of the first party I ever had a hand in organising there was a pool of sick on the landing.

It stayed there for three days. It was R who eventually cleared it up

I think it was acknowledged to have been a good party (although I think we each ended up snogging people we hadn't originally intended to end up snogging. My memory is a little hazy there. Those Southport parties tended towards blurry at the time; let alone at this distance). I still have Party Tape #1. The track listing confirms why, this Saturday night, at the end of The Beat's "Too Nice To Talk Too", there was an involuntary echo of UB40's "Food For Thought" in my head.

Anyway, from then till now, I've never been able to arrange any kind of party without suffering what seem to me to be perfectly rational agonies of anticipated disaster. So, it was a little weird to have what amounted to a living Venn diagram of my life under one roof at the same time. Usually the worlds don't collide, and I've always thought there were sound reasons for that but, as it turned out, a good time was had by all. Even, despite the trepidation, me.

That J came along, after an afternoon of indecision, was the icing on the cake. That C showed up at the last minute, after an absence of seven years, was the icing on the icing. The chocolate strawberries, however, were just the chocolate strawberries.

Thanks everyone!

Maybe next time I'll get R along too.

It's My Party - Lesley Gore
Too Nice To Talk Too - The Beat
Time To Pretend - MGMT
Alcohol - Gogol Bordello

Labels: ,




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?