Wednesday, December 31, 2008

I'm almost completely better now. Although I may relapse, as it's so cold today I keep having to go and touch the radiator to check that the heating hasn't packed in. It hasn't. It's just bloody cold. The hot water I put in the bird bath this morning has iced over. There's a freezing fog wrapping itself around the rooftops, reducing my world view to a couple of streets, making me even gladder that this evening's plans don't involve The Outside. Instead I will stay in, finish this year's jigsaw and make some lists...

It seems to be a truth universally acknowledged on the Internets that this year hasn't been a great one for albums, or for 'new' music in general. If this is true it's just as well, as I spent most of 2008 catching up on The National and Okkervil River* not leaving a great deal of space in my head for 'new' stuff. Except for lovely, lovely Fleet Foxes who seem to have stumbled, fully formed, from their parents' basements straight onto my playlist.

Top Three Singles (I tried to go for a top five, but who knows what a 'single' is anymore? and who even cares!)
Time To Pretend - MGMT
I Will Possess Your Heart - Death Cab For Cutie
I Kissed A Girl - Katy Perry

Top Five Albums
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
Seldom Seen Kid - Elbow
Seventh Tree - Goldfrapp
Blame Winter - Cranes and Crows
Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend

Top Five Gigs
The National - Leeds, Metropolitan University
Fleet Foxes - Manchester .... either the Roadhouse or the Academy ... both were excellent
Rachel Unthank & the Winterset - Lancaster, Yorkshire House
Okkervil River - Manchester Academy
Eels - Manchester, Bridgewater Hall

Official 'Owners' Of 2008: Elbow

The 'I really feel as though I should like this, but somehow its appeal has largely passed me by' phenomenon of 2008: Bon Iver.

An end of year scramble around the music blogs leads me to believe I should've spent time listening to Ra Ra Riot, Lykke Li and Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin.

I suppose that's what 2009 is for?

Happy New Year!

(*or watching The Wire)

Labels: ,




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?