Wednesday, August 26, 2009

On This Day In History...

17:41 Fifteen Minutes Late
August 26 1979:"I've got a form from Edge Hill. Shall I fill it in?"

The day the results came out I realised I wouldn't be spending my next three years at the University of East Anglia after all. Mum & Dad were on holiday and, once I'd got the crying out of the way, I realised I didn’t have a clue what I was supposed to do next. The first person I tried to call was my English teacher. Luckily for him, he was unavailable. The second person was my RealBestFriend. Luckily for me, her dad was a head teacher.

Anyway, I filled the form in and was interviewed by a man who reminded me of my of my old maths teacher (which was a Good Thing even though maths was never a strong point although - bearing those results in mind - it turned out that my strong points weren't strong points either).


It's very possible, thinking about it, that they were, at that time, happy to accept anyone and everyone who applied. It would explain a few things. But I'd rather hang on to the belief that what got me in was a vehement antipathy to DH Lawrence and the fact that I owned up to enjoying the 'Peace' in "War & Peace" but being bored by the 'War'.

It's just as well, all things considered, that I didn't make it to East Anglia. I would never have lasted.

Labels:




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?