Tuesday, May 08, 2007

In My Little Town I Never Meant Nothing, I Was Just My Father's Son

7.31 On Time
The man who preferred sherbet strawberries will be 49 next week.

He was a farmer’s son. One evening, when he was eight years old, he went out looking for his dad and found him in the barn. He’d blown his brains out.

It's a small town. This is the sort of information everyone has on anyone.
People you don't know will know you as "the one whose dad shot himself". Sadly, in a farming community, that’s not such a rare distinction (ditto "the one who killed his brother by reversing the tractor over him").

Some feel stifled and, confusing anonymity with freedom, flee to anonymity at the first opportunity.

It doesn't bother me.

Lucky as, going back, there are circles where I will still be "the one who almost wrecked the one whose dad shot himself's marriage".

My Little Town - Simon & Garfunkel
Coolsville - Rickie Lee Jones
Wild World - Cat Stevens
California - Joni Mitchell
Only Love Can Break Your Heart - Neil Young
Cigarettes & Chocolate Milk - Rufus Wainwright
I'm Your Toy - Elvis Costello

Labels:




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?